Wednesday, April 5, 2017

2017/04/05 (and 2017/07/29) - Physical Models and Refinments

During the last two weeks, I did a variety of things for the super way project.

The first thing was to mill the 2x2" wood into 5/8x5/8" and 1x1" pieces. With this and a segment on 1" schedule 40 pvc pipe, I could properly test the existing pair of clamps. With some sanding on the corners, the 5/8x5/8" wood fit perfectly, but there was some issue with fitting the pvc pipe on the horizontal part of the clamp.

 IMG_20170404_173839982.jpg
Next, I refined the design of my clamps. Specifically, I modified a several of the length dimensions, and then added flaps to the bottom of the T clamp while pushing them out by 1/8 of the edge, which would allows laser cut acrylic parts to be placed within. I also changed the diameter of the horizontal parts of the clamp so the next model would be able to accept pvc pipes without filing it down. Finaly, I merged the different types of clamps into one Soldworks document (by using the suppress feature to allow changes between the different types of clamps), so that making modifications would be a lot faster and simpler.



Likewise I made a first draft template for the laser cut part. The acrylic sheet will be used for many different types of parts, such as the trusses, the upper horizontal support beam (which will allow additional modifications such as for the solar array), the guide way connecters and beams as well as the brackets (based on those made by the 12th scale group). Though not yet designed, it will also be used to make the guideway rails. 


The end result for one of the two support columns will look like the picture below, , though there still will need to be significant modifications to the guide way parts
Finaly, I also worked on the presentation for today. In addition, I also should mention important to mention that I did an essay for ME 195B on the Three Gorges Dam and its societal and cultural effects.

No comments:

Post a Comment