Wednesday, May 3, 2017

2017/05/03 - Approaching Completion

On Thursday, used a file on the 3d printed clamps to remove protruding elements and also to try making the internal surface a little flatter.

On Saturday, I finalized the SOLIDWORKS file to have a visual display of the final assembly (figures 1 and 2). While doing so, I realized that I had made two small mistakes with the guideway: I had misplaced a few holes in  the for the guide for the parts towards the end of the assembly, and I had not left any clearance for the flat ends of the guideway. These were simple fixes however, and I sent the new version to  Kyle Meininger with no problems.

Figure 1: the final assembly
Figure 2: the Guide way (with hidden parts for visibility 
- note the altering parts on the upper portion and the "T-shaped" wooden spacers)

On Monday Mr. Meininger and I went to the ME 101 laser cutter (the one in figure 3), where he cut the parts for me. I was there for the first batch of parts and managed to pack them up, but I had to leave for class before the second set was complete, but I will be able to pick them up before the last class. 

Figure 3

Figure 3 and 4 The first batch of laser cut parts.

When I got home I tested my new parts with the 3d printed clamps and the wood beams, as you can see in figure 5 the parts fit perfectly together (though a small washer between a clamp and the acrylic parts to prevent wobbling).

Figure 5: a successful assembly

Now, there are a few things left for me to do: with my dad, cut parts of the PVC pipe for the covers, and the ten wood parts for guideway, put blue tape on the 3d printed parts and clean the acrylic parts


No comments:

Post a Comment